Dear Students — Well, a few short days and we will once again be paintings in the beautiful Black Hills. We have about a dozen students signed up for the class — some old timers, some brand new.
Most of the students are staying at the Black Hills Mile Hi Motel in Custer, 244 Mount Rushmore Road, 605-673-4048. We are meeting there at 1:00pm on Monday to carpool to Legion Lake for our orientation session. Joan says they have some space in their rooms for two people to a bed if anyone wants to share (I am assuming this applies to female students, unless you are a really cute guy, in which case send a recent photo).
We may run into some cool, rainy weather on a day or two so bring appropriate clothes — I will explore some alternative painting sites if necessary.
There is still room in the class for a few more students, so if you have any friends who like to join us bring them along.
I am looking forward to a great week — see you soon — mark
in THE BLACK HILLS of SD with
Mark W. McGinnis*
– students will be accepted on beginning to advanced levels (advanced students may also sketch in media other than watercolor – pastels, charcoal, graphite, mixed media, etc.)
– Class Fee — $250.00
– contact Mark McGinnis — firstname.lastname@example.org or 208-921-7189 for registration & fee payment
– minimal materials needed, a list will be given upon enrollment
– students will arrange their own lodging (camp, motel, friends, etc.) some students are staying at the Mile High Motel in Custer
– all travel by private cars (car pool as much as possible)
– daily demonstrations – individual instruction throughout the day and group discussions will take place on location at the end of each day
– optional group dinners and evenings on your own
June 20-24, 2011 (tentative schedule)
Monday, June 20 –1:00pm orientation – gather at the Black Hills Mile Hi Motel, Custer SD — 1:30pm carpool to Legion Lake in Custer State Park for demonstration and sketching
Tuesday – June 21 – All day sketching at Horse Thief Lake and Black Elk Wilderness Trail
Wednesday – June 22 – All day sketching in Spearfish Canyon
Thursday – June 23 – All day sketching in French Creek Area
Friday – June 24 – 8:30am – noon – sketching at Peter Norbeck Scenic Overlook